1993-99 Legends of American Music Series
This offer includes the Legends of American Music Series stamp sheets. More than 70 artists are included from all styles of music.
January 8, 1993 marked the issue of the first stamp in the Legends of American Music Series. “The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll” was featured. The public was allowed to vote for a “young” or “old” Elvis image. America voted overwhelmingly for the younger version – and a popular stamp series was born!
· Legends of American Music – Elvis Presley, Bill Haley, Clyde McPhatter, Ritchie Valens, Otis Redding, Buddy Holly, Dinah Washington
· Country Music Legends – Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Carter Family, Bob Wills
· Popular Singers – Al Jolson, Bing Crosby, Ethel Waters, Nat “King” Cole, Ethel Merman
· Blues and Jazz Singers – Bessie Smith, Muddy Waters, Billie Holiday, Robert Johnson, Jimmy Rushing, “Ma” Rainey, Mildred Bailey, Howlin’ Wolf
· Jazz Musicians – Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, James P. Johnson, “Jelly Roll” Morton, Charlie Parker, Eubie Blake, Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, Erroll Garner
· Big Band Leaders – Count Basie, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman
· Songwriters – Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer, Dorothy Fields, Hoagy Carmichael
· Opera Singers – Lily Pons, Richard Tucker, Lawrence Tibbett, Rosa Ponselle
· Conductors and Composers –Leopold Stokowski, Arthur Fiedler, George Szell, Eugene Ormandy, Samuel Barber, Ferde Grofé, Charles Ives, Louis Moreau Gottschalk
· Folk Musicians – Huddie “Leadbelly” Ledbetter, Woody Guthrie, Sonny Terry, Josh White
· Gospel Singers – Mahalia Jackson, Roberta Martin, Clara Ward, Sister Rosetta
· Hollywood Composers – Max Steiner, Dimitri Tiomkin, Bernard Herrmann, Franz Waxman, Alfred Newman, Erich Korngold
· Broadway Songwriters – George and Ira Gershwin, Lerner and Loewe, Lorenz Hart, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Meredith Willson, Frank Loesser