2014 49¢ Farmers Market
Strip of 4
These stamps celebrate farmers markets that sell fresh local produce. They were issued in panes of 20. The First Day of Issue took place during National Farmers Market Week.
The earliest farmers’ markets are said to have existed in Egypt over 5,000 years ago. Farmers along the Nile River would bring fresh goods to sell at one collective location. The idea persisted throughout history and spread across the globe. In the United States, informal farmers’ markets were likely present as early as the Jamestown Settlement.
Modern markets, with rows of tents or booths set up for each vendor, emerged in the early 19th century. At that time, municipally owned markets, known as public markets, were a central point of food distribution and local commerce. But as the population began to move to more suburban areas in the 20th century, supermarkets replaced the public markets. The government-run farmers’ markets could not compete with private enterprise.
By the 1960s and 70s, growing concern over the use of pesticides and preservatives in food sparked a renewed interest in farmers’ markets. Consumer focus shifted toward organic agriculture and alternatives to the industrial food system. Since then, the number of farmers’ markets has steadily grown nationwide.
From the open-air markets in city centers to the year-round market halls, the so-called “farm to table” movement continues to promote farmers’ markets.
The Farmers Market stamps were illustrated by Robin Moline. After trying a number of designs that conveyed the atmosphere of a farmers market, the artist decided to concentrate on the products being sold while giving the feel of a wooden market stall.
49¢ Farmers Market, issued to satisfy the first-class mail rate
Issue Date: August 7, 2014, National Farmers Market Week
City: Washington, DC
Quantity: 100 million stamps
Printed By: Aston Potter USA Ltd.
Printing Method: Lithographed in sheets of 100 with five panes of 20 per sheet
Perforations: Serpentine Die Cut 10 ¾
Founding Of The 4-H Club
On January 15, 1902, one of the first clubs to resemble the 4-H club was founded in Ohio.
In the late 1800s, it wasn’t uncommon for individuals and groups to create clubs for children to help them appreciate farming and nature. While it’s unclear who was the first to create such a group, 4-H Club recognizes A.B. Graham as one of the early founders.
On January 15, 1902, A.B. Graham, superintendent of schools in Clark County, Ohio, created the Tomato Club or the Corn Growing Club. Graham’s club held regular meetings and had a planned program designed to teach youths through hands-on practical experience. The club’s members worked on projects dealing with vegetables, flowers, and soil testing. The Ohio State University Agricultural Experiment Station furnished the club with varieties of corn for the youths to grow.
Also important to the 4-H movement was Jessie Field Shambaugh. As a teacher in Page County, Iowa, Shambaugh created agricultural clubs and competitions to increase student interest in farming. By 1906, Shambaugh was superintendent of the 130 schools in Page County. She and her teachers formed the “Page County Progressives” and soon all Page County Schools had Boys Corn Clubs and Girls Home Clubs.
In 1908, the National Educational Bulletin declared Page County schools “The Best Rural Schools in America.” Superintendents quickly flocked to the area to learn more about this new approach. By 1910, similar programs were sprouting up across the country. Shambaugh’s work, along with similar work throughout the US, turned into the 4-H Club of America by 1914. The 4-H Club movement was sponsored by the US Department of Agriculture, to teach rural youngsters modern farming methods. Shambaugh also designed the clover emblem that symbolizes the organization to this day. The four H’s stand for head, heart, hands, and health.
The nation’s first state 4-H camp was created in 1921 at Jackson’s Mill, West Virginia. This area had already become a popular picnic spot for local residents. The camp was placed under the care of the West Virginia University Extension Service. Jackson’s Mill was an early industrial center in West Virginia and the boyhood home of Confederate General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson.
Today, 4-H is the largest informal educational program for young people in the US, with 6.5 million members between the ages 5 and 21. The organization’s slogan is “Learn by Doing,” and its members acquire skills through working on various projects and activities. The mission of 4-H is to engage “youth to reach their fullest potential while advancing the field of youth development.”