2014 U.N. Definitive – Palais Des Nations
The 2014 U.N. definitive stamps, designed by Sergio Baradat, capture the abstract architectural details of some of the main U.N. office buildings and various icons associated with the United Nations.
The Fs 2.20 Geneva issue pictures the Palais des Nations. Originally constructed between 1929 and 1936 to house the League of Nations, the Palace of Nations has been the U.N. Geneva office headquarters since 1946. The design for the architectural marvel was to be determined by competition. Of the 377 submissions, the judges could not decide on one and the top five applicants were chosen to design the building together.
Located in Ariana Park, the palace is known for the peacocks which wander the surrounding grounds. The park was given to the city in 1890 under certain conditions, one being that peacocks be allowed to freely roam the premises.