The Soo Locks
On June 18, 1855, the first ship passed through the Soo Locks, which are also known as the St. Mary’s Falls Canal.
For many years, the people of Michigan suggested that the government build a canal and locks at Sault Ste. Marie. The only water connection between Lake Superior and the lower Great Lakes was the St. Mary’s River, but a rapids on the river made passage impossible. Ships were unable to navigate the 21-foot drop at St. Mary’s Rapids, where Lake Superior flows into the lower Great Lakes. Continue reading