Battle of Hatteras Inlet Batteries
On August 28, 1861, the first combined Union Army and Navy battle of the Civil War concluded at the Battle of Hatteras Inlet Batteries.
In the 19th century, trading vessels filled with goods from the Caribbean caught the Gulf Stream to travel North and sailed past the North Carolina shoreline. The Outer Banks of North Carolina formed the perfect location for raiding ships during the Civil War, and Cape Hatteras Lighthouse served as a lookout tower. When Northern ships were spotted, raiders hiding in the calm waters of the Sound rushed out and captured the ship. The Confederates realized the importance of protecting this area and built four forts near the deepest inlets. Fort Hatteras and Fort Clark were built on the most strategic location, Hatteras Inlet.