First Light of the Hale Telescope
On January 26, 1949, the Hale Telescope at Palomar Observatory first saw light.
The Hale Telescope and Palomar Observatory were the brainchildren of US astronomer George Ellery Hale. He had previously overseen the building of 60-inch and 100-inch telescopes at the Mount Wilson Observatory in the early 1900s. These telescopes helped to vastly increase our understanding of the universe, and also demonstrated Hale’s argument that we needed even larger telescopes.