This Day in History… August 7, 1927
On August 7, 1927, the Peace Bridge linking the US and Canada was dedicated by representatives from both nations and the United Kingdom.
In the 1800s, ferries frequently crossed the Upper Niagara River between Fort Erie, Ontario, and Buffalo, New York. However, too many boats at once created a bottleneck and strong currents and ice made passage dangerous during several months of the year. The Railway Bridge opened in 1873 to make this route safer.