1875 Franklin and Washington imperforates
US #3 and #4 are scarce reproductions of America's first two stamps. They were prepared in conjunction with the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia; however, they were only sold at the office of the Third Assistant Postmaster General in Washington, DC.
The original stamps were produced by Rawdon, Wright, Hatch & Edson. In response to an order from the Post Office Department, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing produced these duplicates in 1875. The ungummed stamps, which were the first by the BEP, were printed with new plates in panes of 50 subjects. The stamps were not valid for postage and were sold in limited quantities – only 4,779 US #3 stamps and 3,884 US #4 stamps were sold to the public.