2020 55¢ Innovation
Value: 55¢ 1-ounce First-class rate (Forever)
Issue Date: August 20, 2020
First Day City: Bellefonte, PA
Type of Stamp: Commemorative
Printed by: Banknote Corporation of America
Printing Method: Offset, Hot Foil Stamping
Format: Pane of 20
Quantity Printed: 14,000,000
Innovation is the driving force of history. For example, the United States was founde din 1776, and it is amazing to think how far our nation has come in such a short time. When our country first began, we were still lighting our homes with candles and traveling by horse. But, not long after we gained our independence, we discovered electricity, and everything took off from there. It is amazing to think we entered the digital age just over 200 years after our country began.
In 2020, the United States Postal Service issued five postage stamps to celebrate the many advancements made thanks to innovation. They honored Computing, Biomedicine, Genome Sequencing, Robotics, and Solar Technology. Each of these areas has changed America, and the world, in profound ways:
- We are able to share ideas and information instantly from anywhere.
- Our life expectancies have nearly doubled between the 1800s and 2020.
- We can diagnose and treat genetic conditions based solely on a person's DNA makeup.
- We rely on robots to do dangerous tasks like diffusing bombs or handling radioactive materials.
- We have access to an unlimited, clean source of energy with the potential to help reverse global warming and climate change.
These are just a few of the many benefits we have been able to reap in the modern world thanks to innovation. And the best part is, there will only be more amazing discoveries as time goes on.