1956 3¢ Nassau Hall, Princeton University
Issue Date: September 22, 1956
City: Princeton, New Jersey
Printed by: Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Printing Method: Rotary Press
Perforations: 11 x 10 ½
Color: Black, orange
U.S. #1083 was issued to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Princeton University’s Nassau Hall. At the time it was built in 1756, Nassau Hall was the largest building in New Jersey.
From July to October in 1783, the Hall hosted the U.S. government, as the Congress of the Confederation met on the second floor. Princeton University notes, “Here Congress congratulated George Washington on his successful termination of the war, received the news of the definitive treaty of peace with Great Britain, and welcomed the first foreign minister – from the Netherlands – accredited to the United States.”
Nassau Hall, Princeton University
Nassau Hall is the oldest building on the campus of Princeton University, which was founded in 1746. The hall was completed in 1756. During the American Revolutionary War, the building was occupied by both British and Colonial forces.
General George Washington captured Nassau Hall, bringing the battle of Princeton to a successful conclusion for the Colonial Army. This victory marked a major turning point in the Revolutionary War. Today, the hall contains the administrative offices of Princeton University.