37¢ Southeastern Lighthouses
Issue Date: June 13, 2003
City: Tybee Island, GA
Printed By: American Packaging Corporation for Sennett Security Products
Printing Method: Photogravure
Perforations: Serpentine Die Cut 10.75 x 10.25
Please note: Due to the layout of the pane, the se-tenant may or may not be provided in Scott Catalogue order.
The romance of lighthouses is reflected in this strip of five commemorative stamps picturing historic beacons from America’s southeast.
The original Cape Henry Light was abandoned as an active lighthouse in 1881. Despite several cracks in walls six-feet thick at the base, the tower still stands today.
Confederate troops tried to destroy the Cape Lookout Lighthouse in 1862. The lens was damaged, but later repaired. The Cape Lookout Lighthouse was painted in 1873 with the black-and-white, diagonally checkered pattern that still identifies it today.
Threatened by erosion, the Morris Island Lighthouse was abandoned in 1962. Today, it stands surrounded by water, about 1,600 feet from the shore.
The Tybee Island Lighthouse is still an important aid to ships navigating the mouth of the Savannah River. The 70,000-candlepower light can be seen for 18 miles.
The Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse is a cast-iron skeleton with a central stair cylinder. It was displayed at the 1904 St. Louis Exposition before being erected at Hillsboro Inlet to guard the Florida Reef at Pompano Beach.