2007 41¢ Pacific Lighthouses
Issue Date: June 21, 2007
City: Westport, WA
Printed By: Avery Dennison
Printing Method: Photogravure
Perforations: Serpentine die cut 11
Please note: Due to the layout of the pane, the se-tenant may or may not be provided in Scott Catalogue order.
Often built in isolated locations, miles from cities and towns, lighthouses have developed a certain mysterious charm and romantic aura over the years. Although the lighthouse keepers of old are gone, lighthouses with automated lights continue their important work of helping ships to reach their destination safely.
Located off California’s northern coast, St. George Reef Lighthouse marks a hazardous reef six miles from California’s shore, near Crescent City. It was first lit in 1892 and deactivated in 1975 because it was considered dangerous for light keepers to get to. It was re-lit in 2002.
Winchester Bay, Oregon, is the site of the Umpqua River Lighthouse. It was originally lit in 1857 to mark dangerous shifting sandbars that had caused many shipwrecks. Six years after its construction, the lighthouse collapsed from heavy rains and flooding. A new lighthouse was rebuilt in 1894, using alternating red and white lights. It remains standing today.
Washington’s Gray’s Harbor lighthouse was first lit in 1898 to mark the channel into one of America’s most important lumber ports. Located in fog-prone northern Washington state, the light was also equipped with a windmill that powered two trumpet foghorns.
Discovery of gold in the Yukon created a need for the Five Finger Islands Lighthouse in Frederick Sound, Alaska. First lit in 1902, the lighthouse burned down in 1933, but was rebuilt through President Franklin Roosevelt’s public works program in 1935.
The island of Oahu, Hawaii, is the site of the Diamond Head Lighthouse, built on the side of an extinct volcano. The lighthouse, which stands 147 feet above sea level, was first lit in 1918. The light can be seen for 18 miles, and has a red sector to warn ships of the reefs off Waikiki beach.