#772 – 1935 3c Connecticut Tercentenary

Condition
Price
Qty
- Mint Stamp(s)
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$0.75
- Used Stamp(s)
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$0.15
- Unused Stamp (small flaws)
Ships in 30 days.
$0.60
6 More - Click Here
Condition
Price
Qty
camera Mint Plate Block of 4
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$3.95
camera Mint Sheet
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$38.50
camera Mint Stamp(s)
Fine
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$0.90
camera Mint Stamp(s)
Fine, Never Hinged
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$1.10
camera Mint Stamp(s)
Very Fine
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$1.10
camera Mint Stamp(s)
Very Fine, Never Hinged
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$1.20
Grading Guide

Mounts - Click Here
Condition
Price
Qty
- MM63625 Horizontal Strip Mounts, Black, Split-back, 215 x 30 millimeters (8-7/16 x 1-3/16 inches)
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$7.50
- MM50150 Horizontal Mounts, Black, Split-back, Pre-cut, 45 x 30 millimeters (1-3/4 x 1-3/16 inches)
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$3.50
- MM4202Mystic Clear Precut Mount 45x30mm
Ships in 1-2 business days.
$1.95

U.S. #772
1935 3¢ Connecticut Tercentenary

Issue Date:
April 26, 1935
First City: Hartford, CT
Quantity Issued: 70,726,800
 
The Charter Oak
Charter Oak was a huge tree in Hartford, Connecticut. It became famous through a tradition that Connecticut’s original charter was hidden there to keep the English governor, Sir Edmund Andros, from seizing it. Andros had been sent by the newly crowned King James II to take control of the colony.
 
When Andros reached the colony in 1687, he appeared at a legislative meeting and demanded that the charter be turned over to him. Members of the legislature debated with Andros, and then suddenly, the candles went out. When they were lit again, the charter had vanished. According to tradition, Joseph Wadsworth took the charter and hid it in a gigantic oak tree.
 
Andros’ rule as governor ended in 1689, after James II’s fall from power. The charter remained the supreme law of Connecticut until a new constitution was adopted in 1818. The Charter Oak was destroyed during a windstorm in 1856. A granite shaft now marks the spot where the tree stood.